WELCOME TO MHF, WE OFFER HEALTH SERVICES ON COMMUNITY EDUCATION ON PREVENTION AND CONTROL MEASURES OF DISEASES.

TESTING YOUR BLOOD SUGAR


 Blood_sugar_test : One person with diabetes doing a blood test with a glucometer Stock Photo


Hi Friends!
Testing your blood sugar
 is one of the most important things you must do as a diabetic. I know, I know…it’s also not the most fun. I mean who really enjoys sticking a needle in their finger?? It hurts! :( But alas, we must do it at least three times per day in order to properly gauge our blood sugar levels, and thus to make sure that they are within the normal range
. In essence, our meter is our LIFELINE!
For most people with diabetes, the American Diabetes Association recommends a fasting blood sugar (before meals) between 70 and 130 mg/dl and a blood sugar less than 180 mg/dl two hours after starting a meal.
Here are MY three really simple, doable tips to make the process easier.
1. Get yourself on a schedule! I test my blood sugar AT LEAST 3 times per day:
  * Once in the morning, as soon as I get up (even before I brush my teeth!). I keep my meter  supplies on my nightstand right by my bed, next to my alarm clock — so it’s quite literally the first thing I see when I get up in the morning!

  * Right before lunch (approx. 2 hours after my last meal or snack). This way if my blood sugar is low, I’ll know to eat an extra piece of fruit; if it’s high, then I don’t eat anything too carb heavy. And I may squeeze in a few minutes of brief intense exercise (like jumping jacks or jumping rope) to help reduce my blood sugar level.


  * Right before bed, at least 2 hours after my last meal.
Depending on my blood sugar levels throughout the day, I may test more often.
2. Adjust your lancet to a shorter, lighter depth. Always use a fresh needle and don’t use the same finger twice in a row!
3. Always carry your meter supplies
with you. I have a neat little case and I carry it with me wherever I go. It’s either in my purse or my briefcase. You should also keep a spare set of supplies with you in your car!
With a little planning and practice…it really is easier than you think! :)
So….how often do YOU test your blood sugar??
Healthy Cheers,
~Elizabeth